Parkour/Freerunning

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
mroctoberfest

Parkour/Freerunning

Post by mroctoberfest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:57 pm

I know that it COULD help if you were experienced in Parkour and/or Freerunning, but I'm wondering if it would be necessary. I know a few guys who like to go on nightops on a regular basis and the majority of them seem to be obsessed with Parkour.

So what do you guys think? Necessity? Luxury?

Evil_0ne

Post by Evil_0ne » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:44 am

In my opinion parkour is a luxury. I'm pretty good at it and trust me it does help, a lot. I wouldn't call it a necessity but it is something you might want to look into if you haven't already.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:16 pm

Yes parkour is very helpful, mandatory, I'm not sure. But I'd say if you don't practice parkour frequently at least learn these skills:
Naked handed climbing
Fear proofing yourself
Running quietly
Rolling
And some running.
Me and my opping partner are both traceurs and it helps a lot. We also combine parkour with these old school ninja team climbing things (shoulder standing, hand boosts). Remember that parkour on an op is way slower and doesn't really resemble what you'll see on youtube it'll just get you places with out much gear. If you plan on doing parkour train without rope or hooks or any kinda gear for ascending walls, you'll learn to work with out them.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Parkour helped me quite a few times when E&E, beïng able to vault a wall twice your height can save your ass from the cops.
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Thu May 15, 2008 2:37 am

For people training parkour, be sure to actually practice in real time to work flow and stuff. Its not the same as drilling a move. Play tag or something on a playground with other traceurs for a fun time and good learning experience.

KolmeK

Post by KolmeK » Thu May 15, 2008 12:46 pm

I'm not all that skilled in it, and I have been opping for years without any major issues. I do know basic rolls and the like that I have never had to use. That being said, at least a basic knowledge of running on trails and uneven surfaces including being able to jump over obstacles is very very important.
KØÏmêK
Admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof. Consider making counter-accusations.

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."

-- The Kohima Epitaph

crastmaster

Post by crastmaster » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:47 am

honestly I love parcour but I'm a rural area opper so theres really not much use for it except vaulting fences as a quick escape. but as far as the psychology of parcour (the mental training) its almost mandatory for a seriouse opper and the physical aspect of it can't hurt eigther. this is my judas but I'd say its worth practicing for almost anyone here
the tip, the blade, the hilt, the hand, and the arm-assassin ranks death gate cycle

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:05 pm

IMO it's not necessary, but it's one of those things that even once you become decent at, or average at, you start seeing the benefits on nearly every op, multiple times.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Also it helps develop what traceurs call "PK Vision" which is when you see routes and paths (and escapes ways) that you'd be able to take that you may not have been able to see before. I'm sure some of you may have noticed that you've developed the ability to quickly see and assess hiding spots and stealthy routes everywhere once you've started opping, not sure what it's called I call it stealth vision. It's the same idea with climbing and moving towards or away from a location.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:47 am

I kinda know some parkour. I was into a little before I was into N.Oing. I learned the monkey vault (if thats the right name) cuz I thought it was the coolest. Theres also a particular fence thats about 4 feet taller than me on a route we frequently use that I can climb in a matter of seconds. I've also developed alot more confidence in being able to conquer obstacles. Im in a rural/suburban area with lots of forest. So my best bet is the forest and then hiding rather then a parkour-esque escape. Theres just not enough places to use it.

But even with the little area thats suitable for parkour, it obviously still helps. I definitely need more practice in it because the little I know definately proves useful.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Dethkreep wrote:I kinda know some parkour. I was into a little before I was into N.Oing. I learned the monkey vault (if thats the right name) cuz I thought it was the coolest. Theres also a particular fence thats about 4 feet taller than me on a route we frequently use that I can climb in a matter of seconds. I've also developed alot more confidence in being able to conquer obstacles. Im in a rural/suburban area with lots of forest. So my best bet is the forest and then hiding rather then a parkour-esque escape. Theres just not enough places to use it.

But even with the little area thats suitable for parkour, it obviously still helps. I definitely need more practice in it because the little I know definately proves useful.
THe gate vault is a great investment of time if you learn it well. Since you already climb fences quickly you be able o come down just as fast.

Illusion

Re: Parkour/Freerunning

Post by Illusion » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:47 am

Well guys, I got out of parkour over a year ago. However, I couldn't sleep last night as I was stressed out - so after watching Jump London and Jump Britain, I thought I should review my training routine. I decided to go out for a quick PK training session this morning. (Quick as I've had zero sleep the last 24hours+, stupid I know - Tiredness causes Injuries and all that..)

I started off with my usual jogging routine, tried to do a bit of balancing on a few fences, done some precision jumps on some bollards then practiced my balance some more. I learned that my balance was pretty poor, and that my agility (for precision) was surprisingly good! I then moved on to do some lazy vaults, and some reverse vaults - just to give my upper body a bit of a work out. Progressed on to practicing my rolls which came naturally, done some more precision (in a few different locations), a few more vaults and generally got down to the basics again.

I had quite a few people going about their daily business around me whilst I did this, and surprisingly it hardly affected me. I don't usually enjoy training in front people - but it didn't phase me. I'm just disappointed that I had to cut it short due to the weather changing - although was for the best with the lack of sleep.

There were some times where even basic, low risk moves in easy situations did present me with a bit of hesitation - that's what I'm training to overcome.

Just to say - if you ever have that "parkour vision" and you stop training... it never leaves you. I struggled to work out circuits to begin with, to work out "set peices" so to speak. (I don't like rehearsed training, but for nailing the basics its probably best) By the time I got into my old flow though, I was jogging home and seeing moves everywhere! You really do begin to see escape routes where there wasn't one before. With that in mind, I'd say that Parkour is advisable to train in - and should be encouraged; albeit not required!
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:59 am

Parkour on an op is like a knife; you may not need it, but it's very useful if you do.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Glad you got back into it and got your pk eyes back. Besides Jump London and Jump Britain some good parkour movies to watch are Yamakasi, Les Fils du Vent/The Great Challenge, District B13 and the second one that's supposed to come out soon.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:05 pm

stealththief wrote:Glad you got back into it and got your pk eyes back. Besides Jump London and Jump Britain some good parkour movies to watch are Yamakasi, Les Fils du Vent/The Great Challenge, District B13 and the second one that's supposed to come out soon.
Yeah, I've seen District B13 before! Was worth a watch.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:46 am

stealththief wrote:Glad you got back into it and got your pk eyes back. Besides Jump London and Jump Britain some good parkour movies to watch are Yamakasi, Les Fils du Vent/The Great Challenge, District B13 and the second one that's supposed to come out soon.
New B13?!?!?! =D
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 am

I just saw the teaser on youtube. It was in French, but it looks pretty badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgLftiAbxDI
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 pm

You only really need the basics. Rolling, easy vaults, etc.

fasteddy5212

Post by fasteddy5212 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:11 am

I wondered if there was other traceurs out there who did this. I've been doing parkour for about 3 years and it's one of my only passions in life. It has given me immense confidence and ability when it comes to ops.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:19 am

A lot of members here do Parkour, as I'm sure you've noted. It certainly does bring a lot of advantages when it comes to NOs.

Speaking of which, I should probably start training again. Haven't been on a decent run in ages.

fasteddy5212

Post by fasteddy5212 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Ya train man, I have absolute confidence that I could get away from almost anyone if I wanted to. No one is from socal here right?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Never heard of it.

fasteddy5212

Post by fasteddy5212 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:18 pm

southern california